Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Money Doesn't Grow On Trees

Do you think it's easy to imagine yourself as Albert Einstein and try to solve out some quantum physics puzzles? I think not. It is in fact not difficult to figure out. Just try to put yourself in his shoes and imagine how pitiful you will be sitting at a desk over which papers are all scattered over, struggling with some totally unknown formulas.


It is in fact so not because you are putting yourself in the shoes of the world famous scientist. We are very uncomfortable in such situations because we are making the thinking and imagination process from a perspective of someone else whom you yourself are not. I had a personal experience about it , which I would like to share with you guys. I was browsing in the library and found this book titled "Money Doesn't Grow On Trees". The book is intended for helping out parents who would want to teach their kids on how the financial world operates. I was interested in it since it is a bestselling one whose underlying objective is to teach kids about money which, in my restricted view, are somehow irrelevant. I borrowed it with the view that I would give a try to this book since my parents did not systematically teach me about this topic in my younger days anyway.

It turned out that it's a crazy idea. After reading through a few chapters(the reading process involved me having put myself in the shoes of parents), i felt like "Geez! I can't do it anymore". I stopped reading it right away. Since I am not a parent, it was just too touch for me to play the game of parenthood. So, in my opinion, if you are not a parent yourself, you had better avoid this book. However, if you are a parent with some young kids, this book I think can give you some insight on how to let your kids know some basic rules about money. I think this book is one of best guide for parents who want to teach their kids the value of money and personal values.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.One thing i have to say that you are not parents right now.But i am sure one day you would be parents.So...
:D

HLK said...

Maybe I could revisit this book then :)